Sunday, January 1, 2012

Dog Communication

Communication is an essential part of human interaction. And just like us, dogs have their own ways of communicating different messages. As a dog owner, I have found it to be paramount to understand our dogs' communication. This can ensure a more harmonized relationship between you and your furballs.
Dogs have different methods of communicating. In raising Roxy and Guinness, I have found that body language and physical cues can tell you a lot about what your dog is thinking, feeling, and experiencing.
There are several definite cues that Roxy and Guinness give us, that we were able to interpret and learn to respond to. For instance, when Guinness ducks his head and cowers with his tail between his legs, we know that he did something he wasn't supposed to. This body language is also shows submission. He is potty trained... but hey, no one's perfect :) When Roxy knows she did something wrong and I approach her, she lays down and rolls on her back. This is Roxy communicating her submission to me; she is acknowleging that she did something wrong, and that I am the alpha.

I spoke in earlier in  "Potty Training" about body language and getting to know your dogs cues. I think doing this is essential for raising a dog. You can learn a lot about them! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment